Your Housing Rights is a factsheet that covers the basics of fair housing, reasonable accommodations and modifications, and service and comfort animals.

Animals & the Fair Housing Act is a self-advocacy packet that explains who is protected under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), the types of housing covered, reasonable accommodations, the difference between service animals and companion animals, when animals are permitted, etc. This packet also provides recommended steps to take to request an animal as a reasonable accommodation and a sample letter. For more resources regarding assistance with animals, please see our Service & Support Animals page.

Sample Letters that can be used as a guide to drafting an individualized letter to make a request:
Reasonable Accommodation Request for Current Homeowner to Homeowner’s Association
Reasonable Accommodation Request for Current Tenant to Landlord
Reasonable Modification Request for Current Tenant to Landlord

Other Resources

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is the federal agency that works to ensure affordable and fair housing. The website has information regarding local contacts for housing, information for people with disabilities which includes information on the Fair Housing Act, and information on how to complain about HUD-supported properties

Legal Aid of North Carolina is a statewide, nonprofit law firm that provides free legal services in civil matters to low-income people in order to ensure equal access to justice and to remove barriers to economic opportunity. As part of their work, Legal Aid NC may take cases regarding housing issues, such as evictions. They have resources available at www.lawhelpnc.org/issues/housing.

The Fair Housing Project is a project of Legal Aid of North Carolina that works to eliminate housing discrimination and to ensure equal housing opportunity for all people in North Carolina through education, outreach, public policy initiatives, advocacy and enforcement. As a project of Legal Aid NC, legal services are provided through local LANC offices and the Project’s staff. 

The NC Housing Coalition educates the public about housing issues facing low and moderate-income households and advocates to empower residents to impact housing needs and issues that affect their lives and those across the state. The NC Housing Coalition’s program includes the Tenant Resource Network, Fair Housing Workshops, and other forms of advocacy. Resources on the website include: The coalition's Affordable Housing Primer is designed to provide important basic information resources that individuals, particular persons with disabilities, their advocates, etc. can use to increase understanding of the housing system. Chapter 3 of this Primer focuses on Fair Housing Basics, which includes explanations of reasonable accommodations and modifications.

The North Carolina Housing Finance Agency has information for home buyers, homeowners, renters and individuals with disabilities. This includes a 2008 guide entitled Fair Housing for Tenants with Disabilities: Understanding Reasonable Accommodations and Reasonable Modifications.

NC Department of Justice has resources on its website related to housing including information regarding home improvement, repair scams, home warranties, homeowners’ associations, manufactured homes, renting a home (including renters and foreclosure), etc. This information includes Landlords’ Maintenance and Repair Duties: Your Rights as a Residential Tenant in North Carolina.

NC Bar Association (NCBA) has general information available as publications, such as the This is the Law pamphlet on landlord-tenant issues. Individual sections of the NCBA also have information that may be relevant, such as information regarding mold contamination of a home for renters and homeowners from the Environmental Section.

The North Carolina Human Relations Commission takes complaints alleging violations of the Fair Housing Act.

Certain housing options may be accessed through divisions of the NC Department of Health and Human Services. For example, managed care organizations (MCOs) for Medicaid-funded mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance abuse services have housing coordinators that may direct an individual to housing options available through their services. Older individuals may want to contact their local Area Agency on Aging to ask about area housing options specifically for older individuals.

The Judge David L. Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law works to protect and advance the rights of adults and children who have mental disabilities. Much of the Center’s work is done through policy and legal advocacy, but they also have helpful resources and publications, including:

  • What “Fair Housing” Means for People with Disabilities is a 54-page book written for people with disabilities who want to buy or rent a home that explains how federal laws protect their rights.
  • Fair Housing Fact Sheets -- the Bazelon Center has over a dozen factsheets on fair housing covering a range of topics from the Right to Emotional Support Animals in “No Pet” Housing, Using Reasonable Accommodations to Prevent Eviction, Early Termination of  a Lease, Live-In Aide as Reasonable Accommodations Under the Fair Housing Act and Related Law, etc.

The Technical Assistance Collaborative, Inc. has a publication titled Live-in Aides & The Housing Choice Voucher Program that provides information on live-in aides, including HUD regulatory requirements and key definitions as well as ideas for public housing authorities to consider.

Twitter icon
Facebook icon
LinkedIn icon